Christmas 2014

Christmas 2014

Friday, January 6, 2012

Adventures at the Clinic

So, Victoria had her first eye exam this morning. It could have gone better for her, she was very anxious and frustrated there. I am on a steep learning curve and am learning new things every day. I should have talked her through the exam process, I have only had a million myself. I also learned that she gets VERY frustrated that she can not see, so if you ask her to read letters that she can't see, she shuts down. Who can blame her for that? Also, we took her to the medical clinic that mostly deals with Active Duty military, and not so many children or autistic children for that matter. Thankfully when the doctor came in, he was very calm and gave encouraging vibes. The second part of the exam went much better and the doctor is pretty sure of the prescription, and we will go back in a month to make sure. He said that the second visit usually goes better with less anxiety. Time will tell.

Then, because that wasn't enough of an emotional roller coaster for Victoria, I took her to get shots. I could see her getting more and more anxious while we were waiting to be called. By the time it was our turn, she was already in tears. It was so sad. However, she was very brave and as soon as she was done looked at me, smiled and said, that's not as bad as I remember. Ahhhh! Thank goodness, because we have to go back in 2 months for a follow up. :)

Needless to say, Victoria earned all of us McDonald's for lunch! And because we are being blessed with an amazing winter, the sun was out so we got to go to the park before lunch. Both kids were very exited about that. It was cold and sunny. I also learned today that Victoria is a professional swinger, (her words), and she loves to swing. I love learning new things about her.

We are still waiting on Victoria to start school. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday. Victoria is very ready to start back to school. That's another thing, enrolling a child into school is no piece of cake. Especially one in Special Ed. The school district got back to us yesterday letting us know which school Victoria will go to, but when Matt went to the school to enroll her, they had no knowledge of her enrollment. But, we are very excited that she will be going to school about a half of a mile away.

I will try to get a picture of Micah and Victoria soon, but Victoria does not like to have her picture taken, so we'll see what we get.

2 comments:

Gloria Glowicki said...

Katie, you are amazing with her and she is lucky to have you. Thank you so much for what you are doing for her. I am sitting here crying for her and it sure helps knowing you are there for her. Bless her sweet heart.

Sara said...

Which eye doctor did you see? I took mine in September (both were complaining of headaches, I assumed it was poor eyesight. Turns out they just weren't getting enough water at school.) and the doctor they saw reminded me of John from the Garfield comics. He was very friendly, very good with both kids and their questions and talked them through their concerns with out issue. I really appreciated it.

Sounds like you have a wonderful adventure for this next year. If you ever need anything, let me know. I have an 11 year old boy who loves to meet new people. ;)